The Event is Free and Open to the Public!
• Community Resiliency: What we can learn from Joplin, 10:00 – 11:30 am , Samaritan Center for Health Education Center, 740 SW 9th St, Newport, Oregon (free event to the public)
• Get Ready Lincoln County, Emergency Readiness Fair, 12:00 – 3:00 pm, Lincoln County Fairgrounds, 633 NE 3rd St, Newport, Oregon (free event to the public)
The readiness fair will provide various booths with educational information, demonstrations on how to mitigate hazards in your home, business or community places of gathering. Local public safety representatives and volunteers will be on hand to help guide attendees or answer the “How to”, “What if” and “Why should I” type questions they may have. Local vendors will be on hand with emergency readiness kits, gadgets, and nutritional items, etc. to help you in your preparedness efforts. Featured exhibits at the fair include:
• Children’s Bike Helmets, Fitting of and Bike Safety Rodeo, sponsored by Northwest Natural Gas and Newport Police Department
• Travel size Emergency Red Cross Kits – to the first 100 attendee’s, sponsored by American Red Cross and Northwest Natural Gas
• Emergency Go Kit (1 Day Adult Kit) Door Prize (2 each), sponsored by the Office of Oregon Emergency Management
• Key Note Speaker, Director Lane Roberts, Missouri Department of Public Safety, Community Resiliency: What we can learn from Joplin, presentation prior to readiness fair (see location, time information below), sponsored by Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office
Just In Time Training Topics
• Prepare in a Year:
• Water resiliency for home and on the go
• Handwashing, how clean is clean?
• What’s C.E.R.T. got to do with it? (Community Emergency Response Teams)
• The Wiggle Watcher Challenger – activity stations on important aspects of earthquakes and tsunamis
• Pets and animals in disasters: Go or stay…What do you need to be ready?
• Emergency Kits: Make your own, purchase premade, benefits of both and examples
• Food Ration Bars: Taste before you buy…samples, samples, samples
• Getting Back to Business – continuity planning for businesses
• Amateur Radio – What’s your downtime family communication if your cell phone won’t ring?
• Emergency Preparedness Trivia: Put on your game face and show us what you know
• Utility Safety: What you should know about gas and electricity safety
• Marine and Water Safety: Are you sure you’re ready to take on the sea’s, river or the surf?
• Emergency Medical Transportation/Care Services: Life Flight, Reach, Pacific West Ambulance
• Know Before You Go: National Weather Service and Oregon Department of Transportation.